Wednesday, 16 April 2014

The Great Swift Bake Off: 3. Breadsticks

This month the bake off coincided with the Easter holidays. With several colleagues away and others busy at the weekend it was a much reduced field that tackled bread sticks. I did manage a victory but the smaller number of entries diminishes the feeling somewhat!
My entry for this round was tomato and herb bread sticks (the tomato not only adds flavour but also a delightful orange hint to the sticks). I started with a basic bread stick recipe I acquired from my parents and modified the recipe to include flavours. The ingredients are as follows:
Batch 3? Too many sheets for our oven!

  • 500g Strong White Bread Flour
  • 250ml Water
  • 90ml Oil
  • 1 tbsp Sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1 tbsp Yeast
  • 1 tbsp Finely Chopped Rosemary
  • 100g Tomato Concentrate
  • Grated Parmesan to Decorate
Parmesan Failure. Enough Said.
The ingredients all went into the bread machine on a knead cycle (pizza dough works for us) before being kneaded again and rolled into a thin sheet (5mm thick). I used a chopstick for a guide and sliced strips off the sheet with a plastic dough scraper before rolling them slightly to round the edges and placing them on a teflon baking sheet. My slab of dough ended up too big for my sheets so I could cut my sticks to be identical lengths. 

After a 20 minute rise they went in the oven for 7 minutes at 180 Celsius before I sprinkled the grated parmesan over the top and returned to the oven (turned around to try and get an even bake) for a further 7 minutes. I started trying to put the parmesan on before baking but it didn't seem to stick very well! I could have used an egg glaze to try and get more to stick but I liked the unglazed finish.


Next month - Battle of the Victoria Sandwich: Revenge of the WI.

6 comments:

  1. Well done with this months challenge even if your numbers were depleted you still rose to the challenge. These would be good as snacks especially now the (fingers crossed) warmer weather is coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make great snacks. What Joe didn't mention is that the recipe makes a LOT of breadsticks. We've been happily munching on the spares for days!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the win! They do look yummy. I'll have to try making some one day as I don't care much for the ones you buy ready-made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give them a go (particularly if you have a bread machine which takes lots of the hard work out of it). The squirt of tomato makes them especially yummy!

      Delete
  3. Oh well done, I wish I had a few of those to dunk in dips, they look delicious.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are tasty, there were loads left over so I've been enjoying them all week :D

      Delete

We love reading your comments, so feel free to leave lots of them!