Wednesday, 12 February 2014

The Great Swift Bake Off

I am sure many of you brits will have picked up on the phenomenon that is "The Great British Bake Off" (bbc link). For those less familiar here's a quick summary: A group of amateur bakers (normaly fairly good ones) compete in rounds of three challenges to avoid elimination by two judges - Mary Berry (cookery guru and the go to cookery book of choice for cakes) and Paul Hollywood (master baker). A colleague and I were discussing this and, partly inspired by a friend who had done something similar, decided we should have an office version.
The office version was not going to entail three challenges per round in a televised kitchen but just a single item of baking. We produced a list of some 25+ challenges we fancied and whittled it down to the following list:

Round 1       Tray Bake
Round 2   24 Biscuits
Round 3   24 Bread Sticks
Round 4   Victoria Sponge
Round 5   12 Sweet Buns
Round 6   1 Family Sized Savory Pie (hot water crust, pork pie or similar)
Round 7  Layered Cake
Round 812 Chocolate Éclairs
Round 924 Petit Fours, 2 types

We have had a surprisingly good take up from a mostly male office. About 25% of the office are competing!

Jen and I would like to throw this open wider: If you fancy the challenge of baking along as the year progresses then post a link to your entry in Mr Linky each month so we can all have a look. This could be a blog / instagram / tweet / flickr / etc - all are welcome!


This month: Tray Bake.
Jen has baked this recipe a few times as a cake but I stole it, tweaked it slightly and did it as a tray bake. The recipe is for a Cider Apple Cake - care of Jennifer and her blog. If you want the recipe do have a look at her site.


The scores are in and I got a close 3rd place (one vote behind joint first). Incentive to work harder for the next one!


8 comments:

  1. It looks so much fun & the cake looks wonderful. I can't join in yet & I want to but the kitchen is still in the process of being renovated & is a shambles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing to stop you joining in later in the year though - take each month as it comes. I hope you get the renovations finished soon, a shiny new kitchen sounds exciting :)

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    All looks very scrummy to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the top three were all quite close in votes so Joe's office obviously agreed. I certainly enjoyed the offcuts that were left behind!

      Delete
  3. How wonderful! But sadly I hopeless and can't even make a rice pudding!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit to never having made a rice pudding and have no concept of how easy or hard that would be ;-)

      Delete
  4. Mmmmm....now I am going to have to rummage about looking for a snack even though I am pretty sure I don't have anything as yummy as that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very tasty, but I'm sure you can find something good.

      Delete

We love reading your comments, so feel free to leave lots of them!