Wednesday, 19 February 2014

To Knit Or Not To Knit...

So I finished the baby socks I was working on. I love how quick and simple they are, though I'm a little dubious that they are "newborn" size. Ah well, at least they'll be grown into.


My quandary is this; what next? There are so many lovely patterns I'd like to knit, my favourites board on Ravelry is growing and growing. What I'd like to do next though is use up some of the wool we already have, and that's where I'm struggling. I'm feeling very uninspired. Every penny saved at the moment is going towards our trip, so if I can knit without buying more yarn then bonus!

I've decided to start by adding some finger caps to some fingerless mittens I made a few years ago. They've been getting a lot of use recently, but would be even better if they could keep the ends of my fingers warm too. It's been a quick knit, and this weekend I finished the first. The problem is I'm not sure I like it. I think where the original pattern had been for handwarmers they didn't cover much of my fingers, so the new cap's ended up being quite long. I think I might undo this and return them to just being fingerless.




 What do you think? Keep going, give up (and maybe make a whole new pair of mitts) or start again?

10 comments:

  1. I think you should keep them because the original mittens are cool and even if you don't use the caps, they look good folded down like that.

    Someone gave me a huge amount of wool - the ends of loads of different balls of different colours. I thought I'd make a really disgustingly lurid baby cardi for a joke, but I'm actually beginning to quite like all the clashing stripes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often spot things in colours I'd never have put together - but in an item it kinda works, sounds like your cardi is one of those :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Chloe you may as well keep going they look very nice and will do the job intended. I'm using up all my oddments of wool to make the BIG KNIT hats for the Innocence campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what I don't like is the pointyness of them, but with both you and Chloe saying to keep going I'm feeling its worth the effort to try again and shape them differently.

      Delete
  3. I do like the original mitts, so I'd keep them for sure. I do wish I could knit!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think I'm leaning towards keeping them as they originally were at the moment.

      Delete
  4. What to make next? I'm just impressed that you can knit anything at all - it's a skill I've never mastered :{

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it took me a while to get used to but I love it now. I feel very lost if I'm not mid-project!

      Delete
  5. I never thought about making tops for mitts. There are times when they are definitely needed. I think about that every time I have to sit in a cold car. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a few pairs and they are great, cover all eventualities! I'm not sure that these ones are destined for it though, I might just have to make a whole new pair ;)

      Delete

We love reading your comments, so feel free to leave lots of them!