Sunday, 30 March 2014

Kitchen Gadget 6 - Pasta machine

In our house pasta is often a quick meal done on a night we are busy. Occasionally we decide to make it more than that and make the pasta from scratch. In order to roll it out thinly we have a pasta machine - two metal rollers that can be adjusted to different thickness's. I have also used it to cheat when making filo pastry - it just about goes thin enough to get away without lots of rolling and stretching!

Although I use a recipe from an Italian cookery book I can't be fussed by the kneading nonsense, so I dump all the ingredients in the bread machine on a knead cycle before letting it rest in the fridge for a while. Once rested I squash it into a flat-ish slab and start feeding it through the pasta machine - a couple of passes at each thickness before turning it up. I often have to split the dough into two batches part way through this process.


A trick I learnt somewhere is that once you have enough length put the ends together to form a loop - if you keep the loop supported with one hand you can just spin the pasta through really quickly.


Finally split the loop and use the rolled pasta. My pasta machine has a tagliatelle cutter so I often make that. Simply feed it through, scoop the strands so they fall into a waiting container (I had a biscuit tin just out of shot) and then spread out on a sheet of parchment before cooking. Pasta this fresh often cooks in less than 2 minutes! 


The finished pasta, served with salad and a roasted tomato and chorizo sauce.


6 comments:

  1. That does look really delicious, you put me to shame, I have never made my own pasta.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something we've only really tried in the last couple of years - and as Joe mentioned, most nights we just go for dried supermarket pasta, it's a little too much effort for after work!

      Delete
  2. I've had a pasta machine for nearly 10 years and I love it. I don;t get to use it so often now the kids have left home but as soon as I know they are coming out it comes to make mums home made Lasagne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've not used ours for lasagne but I imagine that works really well - and I'm sure the kids appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. That looks so yummy! I haven't made my own pasta in years. I don't have a machine but I used to make ravioli. I just may have to give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making your own ravioli is fun isn't it - not only making the fresh pasta but mixing up your favourite filling too :)

      Delete

We love reading your comments, so feel free to leave lots of them!