Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Fruit of the Garden - October's Harvest

This month we've been clearing down the garden ready for the winter. There are some plants still happily producing fruit and veg but some we've decided to just take what we can and leave it there.

We've dug up the last of our potatoes (the pink fir apples):


We've harvested the rest of the tomatoes - mostly ripe and a few green:


Joe cleaned up the shallots ready for moving into the kitchen.


We've harvested our sweetcorn. It's a little undersized, but we put these plants in quite late and are glad to get something from them.


The courgette plant is still going, producing marrows and courgettes depending on our vigilance.


8 comments:

  1. That's a great harvest. I'm definitely going to grow Pink Fir Apple next year, I was impressed with the taste of Anya, which is a cross between Desiree and Pink Fir Apple, so I want to compare the taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been good and we've had a reasonable harvest from them, I'd recommend them.

      Delete
  2. Mmmmm....I can just imagine the meal that will come from all that homegrown yumminess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I has been a good year and we've had some tasty dinners :) I'll be sorry when we run out of home grown food - not long now I fear.

      Delete
  3. A great haul :) I only planted one bed of potatoes at the allotment this year - all 'Pink Fir Apple' - the taste outweighs the sometimes weird and wonderful shapes. Your post has reminded me that I need to pick the tatty bits from my shallots before long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only had one bed of potatoes this year two, with a mix of varieties. I think the pink firs have been my favourites - even if they are very knobbly!

      Delete
  4. Love pink fir apple!

    Lovely blog found you via linky on one of my fave blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I'm glad you like the blog :)

      Delete

We love reading your comments, so feel free to leave lots of them!