Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Mini Knitting

I love how quickly knitting for babies comes together. By the time I'd thought about telling you I'd cast on a new project, this had happened:


One newborn size hat! Next up, some mini socks.


We have a few friends with babies due in 2014 and I'm quite excited about all the knitting opportunities that this produces. I'm spending lots of time browsing Ravelry for interesting looking patterns and playing with small double pointed needles.

Since battling with dpn's for the sleeves of my cardigan I've found myself using them more and more, I've still not quite got the hang of a smooth transfer from one needle to the next, but relaxing rather than trying to force the tension to be correct seems to be helping. I now seem to knit in the round more often than I do flat.

What are you knitting/making at the moment?

15 comments:

  1. I've yet to try dpn's, I have sock yarn & the needles to go with it but still haven't plucked up the courage if you know what I mean. Perhaps after I finish my cardigan. The hat has a lovely pattern to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dpn's can be tricky but I think they're easier than they look. Just take a deep breath and give it a go. I found this tutorial really useful (particularly the tips at the end about the first stitched of a new needle) http://www.purlbee.com/knitting-tutorials-working-rnd/2008/7/25/double-pointed-needles.html.

      Also - plain stockinette shows up unevenness much worse than something more detailed, so I'd recommend starting with an interesting pattern! Good luck.

      Delete
  2. I love knitting baby clothes but I don't have any babies to knit for. The little hat is lovely and those teeny tiny socks are going to be so cute. I like using dpn's as I abhor sewing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely appreciate that side of it too. Once you've finshed, you've finished!

      Delete
  3. Awwwhhhh....how adorable. Lucky babies eh....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a sweet little hat and socks set - a lovely present for a new baby. Your new mum friends are very fortunate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm enjoying making them as much as anything.

      Delete
  5. I love baby knits. I thought about making a little hope chest and just filling it up with random infant things in the chance that a baby or two may come along. I do have the one grandson but he grew so fast I couldn't knit fast enough to keep up with him once he was no longer a newborn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making some bits in advance sounds good, it might help you to keep pace with them!

      Delete
  6. Your little hat looks lovely and such a warm blue colour, I'm sure your friends are going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm really pleased with the wool too, not a classic baby blue which I like.

      Delete
  7. This looks amazingly clever and beautiful. I cannot knit. At all. so I have tremendous admiration for those of you who do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never used double pointed needles, but it is something I'll have a go with at some point. I've just started knitting the lion soft toy from "Knitted Wild Animals" by Sarah Keen.

    ReplyDelete

We love reading your comments, so feel free to leave lots of them!