Thursday, 19 February 2015

Refitting the Bathroom 3. We Will Rebuild!

One long weekend (and it felt very long!) and we've made some good progress on our bathroom project. Here's a quick whiz through of what we've achieved so far:

We finished gutting the place. The old suite was removed on Saturday and we stripped out the floor boards too. As I mentioned at the start, a rotting floor was one of the motivations for getting this project done - it was good to see it go.

Gutted...

We burst a pipe. Yes, you read that correctly! In getting the floor up we cut one of the pipes to the central heating system (the nearest pipe in the photo above) and so had the boiler off until the very kind plumber could come and solder it back together for us three days later. Oops! It turns out our pipes run so close to the floor boards that they touch which might explain why we get so many creaks and bangs as the heating warms up.

We laid new chip board, complete with drawings of where all the pipes are to stop some poor sod in the future making the same mistake. In the process we've also found that the joists are a medley of heights so there's no way the floor will ever be flat. Useful.

The toilet in a temporary setting while we sorted out the new floor boards

We replaced the toilet with its new "back to wall" counterpart. The cistern will be hidden inside one of the new cupboards once all is done.

We've tiled the wall behind where the bath is going. We figured this would be much easier without the bath in place. With a little more time we'd have tiled further but the deadline of going back to work was looming over us so...

First wall of new tiles all stuck in place
We fitted the new bath. By 10.30 the night before we went back to work we were both able to wash off all the plaster dust, tile adhesive and general dirt to become presentable again! We're feeling very grateful that we decided to use speedfit plumbing as Joe managed to get most of the fittings for the bath and shower together in about half an hour.


There's lots more to do yet, but it feels like we might be on the homeward stretch now - we're rebuilding rather than tearing down anyway. *Sigh of relief*

8 comments:

  1. Oh Jenny the upheaval I feel for you having done this not too many years ago but at least we did have another toilet and shower in the house that we could use whilst we did it. Can't wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having only one bathroom has put pressure on getting things sorted, but we're through that main phase now so its all looking good :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my dear I remember the upheaval when we replaced our bathroom! The dust was shocking, at least you have some of it in place now & as you say, 'On the homeward stretch'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been trying to keep things fairly contained, but I think the whole house is going to be ready for a spring clean one we're finished - not least because not much housework is getting done, as well as added debris!

      Delete
  3. I love a good remodel. I can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's starting to look good now - if you look in certain directions.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness. And I thought our project was hard going. But, you're through the worst bit and now it gets exciting as the new bathroom all comes together. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours is taking much longer though and that in itself is hard work. There's light at the end of the tunnel now...

      Delete

We love reading your comments, so feel free to leave lots of them!